Yesterday Google announced its new enhancement to Google Scholar: Google Scholar Library. This feature allows users to store a personal collection of articles. Here are the details from the Google Scholar Blog:
All new GMUSL students should have received a card explaining how to set up a Bloomberg Law account. You’ll be learning about using Bloomberg Law for legal research later in the semester.
Bloomberg Law also has a collection of First Year Resources that you may find useful. Access this information here.
Here are the details from each vendor:
Westlaw: Westlaw is allowing graduates to extend their password access to Westlaw databases until November 2013. If you have already extended your WestlawNext access, you don’t have to do anything further. Go here to extend your Westlaw Password.
Lexis Advance: Lexis is allowing graduates to extend their access to Lexis Advance through December 31, 2013. Apply here to receive a special Lexis Advance ID through a new Graduate Program. You will receive a new ID in early July that may be used for “for educational, bar preparation, and job search purposes only.”
Here is information provided by Bloomberg Law:
Bloomberg Law is seeking an energetic and highly-motivated Product Advocate to support Bloomberg Law at George Mason University School of Law. The successful candidate will be fully trained on how to use Bloomberg Law and share their expertise with fellow students and faculty. If you are interested, please email your resume to Beth Goldfinger at email@example.com.
During the Summer, GMUSL students have the following legal database access:
- Bloomberg Law: Unlimited, unrestricted access.
- Lexis: Unlimited access for work (paid or unpaid) and academic purposes using a Lexis Advance ID.
- Westlaw: Limited access June 1-July 31. Students retain access to all TWEN courses and materials. Students may apply for a password extension here for the following acceptable uses: Summer law school classes, law journal work, projects for faculty, moot court, and unpaid, nonprofit public-interest internship/externship work required for graduation. Summer passwords may not be used for research for law firms, government agencies, corporations or other purposes unrelated to law school coursework.
Career Insider by Vault provides career information and management tools including:
- Vault Career Guides (includes legal practice areas and law firms)
- Industry and company profiles
- Resume and cover letter resources
- Salary information
- Job alerts
- Online career forums
GMU patrons may access Career Insider using the link above or from the GMU Database Portal (listed alphabetically under “C” or “V”). First time users are required to set up a personal username and password.
Westlaw is hosting a “Welcome Back” table tomorrow, January 8, 11:30 am -1:00 pm. Students can stop by for sweets and Westlaw goodies — and those who show a document on WestlawNext will receive 100 points and entered to win a pack of four top law movies. Questions? Contact our Thompson Reuters Account Manager, Annemarie Milton.
Just over a year ago, I shared information here about the tragic events in Norway and the legal process that would follow. Today the Norwegian court found Breivik sane and therefore legally responsible for killing 77 people. This decision will keep Breivik in prison for a least 21 years but likely more, as this maximum punishment under Norwegian Law may be enhanced if he is deemed a danger to society.
Interested in locating international news sources about this or other topics? One option is a Google “news” search. GMU patrons also have access to several news databases, including NewsBank which includes several hundred international newspapers, news services and broadcast media
Vendor representatives will offer optional training sessions for LRWA III students:
- August 20: 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm
- August 21: 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm
- August 20 noon, 5:00 pm
- August 21 noon, 5:00 pm
Noon sessions will be held in Room 332, 5:00 sessions will be held in Room 221.
- August 20 12:30pm, 3:00 pm
- August 21 1:00 pm, 5:30pm
All Westlaw training sessions will be held in Room 121.